How to Find an Accredited Calibration Labratory

Measurement standards, also known as reference equipment, are the items used to calibrate, standardize, or check various types of lab equipment. In accordance with the requirements set by AASHTO R18, measurement standards must be calibrated by an agency accredited to ISO/IEC 17025. It’s a common mistake for labs to choose providers who aren’t accredited for the specific types of equipment being used. As you search for an accredited calibration laboratory to meet your needs, here’s what you should keep in mind.

There are multiple U.S. agencies that accredit calibration laboratories, such as the NVLAP, the A2LA, the ANAB, and the PJLA.

Video Source

Each of these agencies has its own directory of accredited laboratories. Searching these directories can help you find a laboratory with the right qualifications.

Many directories allow for advanced searches where you can type specific terms in the search field to find relevant labs. For example, if you need to have a thermometer calibrated, you can simply do a search for “thermometer.” You can also adjust your search to account for scope and geographical location. Then, you can view an agency’s accreditation certificate to find a table detailing what types of equipment it’s accredited for. This will help ensure that you choose the right accredited calibration laboratory for your needs.